Photo by Gary McGuffin
On the river September 1 - September 18, 2006
Mushua-ni-pi (Indian House Lake) to Helen Falls
The George River flows northward from
Cabot Lake for about 300 miles just west
of the Labrador/Quebec border and the
Nunavik is the region of Quebec above
55 degrees N Latitude and is
administered by First Nations. We put in
with a full crew of 10.  Bob and Stephen
last minute commitments elsewhere.  

The rest of us continued for 18 days north
to Helen Falls where we were met by
planes from
Based on what we had learned on the recon expedition we planned on taking out at Helen Falls.  The
estuary section had been problematic, it would save us the long portage around the falls and allow several
extra days ashore for painting, exploration, photography, fishing and weather delays.  Hiking in the
surrounding forest and tundra of the George is not to be missed; stunning country.  The transport logistics
also seemed easier and little if any more expensive, especially with Norpaq's generous support.
Near this spot on the day before Gary took this photo,
Rob, John and Lee were approached very closely by a
hungry bear.  
We were flown in by Norpaq to Sand Point on
September 1.  Bob Bateman met us there by boat as he
had flown in the day before and stayed with Norpaq
owner Pierre Paquet.  We spent the day exploring
Innu sites with Stephen Loring, sketching, sorting gear
September 2 was very windy so we stayed for more
technique review for the less experienced members of
the crew.  On September 3 we set off for the Falcoz
and looking for the wolverine seen on the recon trip.

On the 4th most of us hiked up the mountain shown
above camp in this orientation.  A Golden Eagle flew
under us as we were on the top; a unique view of
such a magnificent bird.  Squalls moved through all
day providing dramatic lighting as we all worked on
sketching painting and photography.
September 5,6,7 and 8
On the Recon in '05 we had been driven to shore
shot by the remains of Hurricane Katrina.  We
noted an especially nice looking place to camp just
downstream as we left and made it one of our
planned two night stays for the main expedition.  
Bad weather, including our first snowstorm of the
the mountain above camp and the long fault line
lake to the right of camp on the east shore; Lac
Kashauapatshitik where we found what may have
been an ancient hunting shelter.
Our camp at the confluence of the Nutilillik and
Our camp at the confluence of the Nutilillik and
George Rivers with La Colline Misurtuq directly
Our camp at the confluence of the Nutilillik and
of this location and Rob and Lee did field pieces
here as well.  "Golden Misurtuq", "Eagle Peak"
and the "Curious George" paintings are all from
this site.  The field work were both of the falls on
the Nutilillik which were quite dramatic.
On August 29 most of the crew left their various homes for the far north of Quebec.  Lindsey, Jim and Lee left Los
Angeles for Burlington, Vermont and Gary and Joanie started driving from Goulais River, Ontario.  John and Rob
waited to rendezvous with the California contingent in Vermont prior to leaving for Sept Iles, Quebec early the next
morning and Stephen was racing along the Trans-Labrador Highway also heading for Sept Iles.

August 30: Bob was flying from Vancouver, BC to Montreal.  The rest met up in Sept Iles after driving the beautiful
northshore of the St. Lawrence River through Quebec prior to boarding the train to Schefferville.  
At this point on its run to the sea the river
is many miles wide and so marine in
character that Tadoussac, QC which we
passed through, is famous for whale
Photo by Gary McGuffin
17's in the motel parking lot in Sept
Iles, Quebec after their long drive
from Goulais River, Ontario
August 31 we boarded Tshiuetin Rail Transport's
train to Schefferville where we would meet with our
outfitters, Jean and Pierre Paquet who would fly us
into the river.
The train trip is wonderful; long but with stunning
scenery along the Moise River and the lakes, bogs,
forests and tundra of the interior.
September 1: After a night spent in a bunkhouse at Norpaq's
floatplane base (except for Stephen and Lindsey who were driven
out by the stenorous snoring - Stephen slept in an old school bus),
half of the crew boarded Norpaq's DeHavilland Otter for the first
of our three flights out.
on the right or the link highlighted below that